Now, before we go any further, we would like to remind you that there are comparable (if not better) dehumidifier models that cost less but without the built-in pump. So, if the built-in pump is not a big deal for you, you may to see the other high rated 50 pint models that cost less than DD50PE.
- 3 drainage options
- Thanks to the patented pump function, you can use the dehumidifier continuously without ever touching the bucket
- LCD electronic controls (temperature and relative humidity displays)
- DD50PE is equipped a convenient water level indicator
- 24-hour programmable timer
- Low temperature operation (down to 41 degrees F)
- Highly mobile; the caster wheels and the handle is nicely done and makes it easy to move the dehumidifier from room to room
- Very easy to set up (be careful with the pump setup – if you use the dehumidifier without setting the pump first, you will need to empty the upper tank before being able to set up the pump)
- The built-in pump is quite a convenience. Essentially, you have 3 options: you can use gravity drain, use the pump to drain the water into any suitable location (even through a basement window), or simply use the bucket and empty it manually if you prefer to do so.
- Remains cooler than most other models we have seen and reviewed so far. Sure it blows a bit of hot air during the on cycles, but overall it emits a lot less temperature than comparable models.
- The noise level is just about the same with other models: not too loud and not too quiet either. All in all, we find the noise level well acceptable.
- One of the downsides is that the fan continues to work even when the set humidity level is reached and the compressor is shut down. Although this happens in numerous other models, there are a few that shut down the fan as well as the compressor, so you may look for those models if these will be a problem for you.
- Like we mentioned before, the pump may require extra effort to set up if you use the machine for the first time without setting it up. We saw quite a few users that had problems with getting the pump to work due to this. Unfortunately, DeLonghi is not very clear in their instructions about this, so make sure you set the pump if you intend to use it before running the machine.
In conclusion, we find the DeLonghi DD50PE to be a good dehumidifier that justifies its somewhat higher price tag with the convenience of a built-in pump. If you have the budget for it, getting a model with a pump can make your life much easier. But if the price is a deterrent, you can check out other models like the Frigidaire .